Fitness Trainer Certification

ACE's four certifications offer fitness professionals a broad range of career choices. Read each of the descriptions to help you decide which one best suits your background, professional interests and career plans.
Which certification is right for me?

ACE currently offers four fitness certifications:

  • The Personal Trainer Certification is designed for trainers providing any form of one-on-one exercise instruction.
  • The Group Fitness Instructor Certification is for those providing any form of group exercise instruction.
  • The Lifestyle & Weight Management Consultant Certification demonstrates the requisite knowledge and skills to develop sound, balanced weight-management programs that bring together the three critical components of nutrition, exercise programming and behavior modification.
  • The Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification is an advanced certification that demonstrates the ability to work with individuals who have special needs and have been cleared by their physician to participate in exercise programs.
    *Certification prerequisites; see the eligibility requirements below.
  • Specialty Certification: Peer Fitness Trainer Certification Program — This certification is designed specifically for firefighters and emergency medical technicians, and is administered exclusively through the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF).
    Am I eligible for certification?

The following eligibility requirements have been adopted for our certification exams:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age.
  • You must hold current adult CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) certification and it must be current at the time of the exam. (Attend the Heartsaver First Aid with CPR and AED Training Course or view a list of accepted CPR certifications.)
  • Although it is not required, candidates for the Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor certifications are strongly encouraged to have a minimum level (approximately 100 hours) of practical experience in the health and fitness field.
  • In order to take the Lifestyle & Weight Management Consultant Certification exam, you must hold a current ACE Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor or Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification, or equivalent.
  • In order to take the Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification Exam, you must have 300 hours of work experience designing and implementing exercise programs for apparently healthy individuals and/or high-risk individuals, as documented by a qualified professional. You must also have a four-year (bachelor's) degree in an exercise science or related field OR a current ACE Personal Trainer Certification or other approved certification (ACSM, NSCA, NASM).


Certification Resources
Wiki Certification
Certification Magazine
Microsoft Certification Overview
Cisco Certification Overview
Teaching Certification
Phlebotomy Certification
HVAC Certification Information
IT Certifications
Teacher Certifications
Certification Discovery
Certification Network


Contact Us
About Us
Privacy Policys
Site Map
© 2000-2012